Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Those Wonderful Soft Hackles



I truly believe that a fly angler can take a soft hackle pattern such as the Partridge and Orange, and catch as many or more fish than using any other pattern in the arsenal. Now... I can already hear the grumbling from those that are steadfast and true to the Woolly Bugger, and I can't deny the bugger is a great fly. However, maybe it's a great fly because we've become so darn dependent on using it, and that includes yours truly. I mean... if I have the Woolly Bugger tied on sixty-five percent of the time I fish, then sure... I'm going to catch more fish with that pattern.

I like soft hackles because I like fishing wet patterns. There's just something kind of special about the whole experience. Partridge and Orange, Partridge and Yellow, and the Hare's Ear Partridge... all wonderful flies. Cast one of these in the film and stay focused on your line/leader connection or the end of your leader/tippet and get ready for a quick strike. If you wait too long in responding then fish will be gone. It's a challenge for sure.

1 comment:

Robin said...

There's no doubt that soft hackles are some fish catching flies.

Now if I were pressed to call on a single fly I'd be at a hard time. But for a top five I could add soft hackle in along with Muddlers, Clousers and two others I need to think of.... :-)