Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Carp Crazy

The smallmouth of yesterday damaged the thread wraps on my last remaining Backstabber.  So, I went straight to the vise after work and created another one in the rust orange and black color scheme.  Now, Zimmerman, the man who created the Backstabber always ties his with a feather collar.  Zimmerman uses a hen feather, but since I'm out of said feathers I've been using a large partridge.  Actually, a lot of the Backstabber's I tie I don't even put on a collar and they seem to work just as well.  It's my belief that the success of this fly is in the simplicity and the marabou action.

I fished a newer stretch of water that neither Charlie or me ever named.  It's a fairly hard stretch to fish because of the position of the sun and the narrowness of the creek in several places along the stretch.  If you land a carp in one of these narrow stretches, then you need to get him to the beach or sandbar quickly.  There are a lot of downed trees here. 

The Backstabber took three more carp today and I'm thinking it's time to give it a rest.  Charlie has been concentrating on his newest find that he wants us to fish dry flies only.  As a matter of fact he named this stretch of water "Dry Gulch", so dry flies only it will be.

Think over the next several days I'll stay on the vise trying to create some dries the carp will be interested in. 

Here's today's pictures.


Been noticing a lot of younger carp lately.

No comments: