Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Monday, January 24, 2011

Good For Google Green



In the mail today, I received an offer from Google to sign up for one of their services.   Now, I doubt that I take part in their offer, but I did read the entire text and that's when I discovered something quite delightful.

In the very last paragraph, or sentence if you will, there is this text.
"PS:  This card was printed on 100% recycled paper embedded with wildflower seeds.  Plant it in a sunny spot with a thin layer of soil, add water, and watch it grow - while you watch your business grow with AdWords."

How cool an idea is that?  Sure, they could have left that last bit of pitch off, but overall what a grand idea!  No way is this thing going in the trash or shredder.  Nope.... I'm planting it!  And, I applaud Google's effort in being green, recycling, and their effort in increasing sustainability.  Soon as the weather warms up, it's going in the ground, where I will patiently await for the colors that will soothe my eyes, and the nectar that will flow providing a food source for insects and birds, and the seeds that will drop to the ground or scatter to other locations and possibly start over. 

What if hundreds of other companies did the same thing?  What if all paper grocery bags were embedded with seeds, like squash, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, lettuce, and so on and on.  Instead of the paper bag going in the dog-gone dumpster, it could go in the ground and give us crops (maybe) back. 

I think the fly fishing industry needs to look at this also.  Anything they merchandise that has a paper card with it could be embedded with seeds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Barry,

Great ideas! Keep up the good work.



Graham

Byron said...

I have never heard of that? Great story and ideas Barry!