Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Getting Ready For The Season Of Rainbows

On the prairie ocean each October there is a flurry of activity in the fly-fishing community as we try and get ready for the approaching season of Rainbows.

Trout season officially opens at Blue River on November 1st.

Yours truly has been busy on the vise trying to tie up some scuds for Merc in a trade deal we made. Merc is bringing me some special mayfly emerger patterns for the size 18 scud patterns I'm tying for him. Damn...I never realized size 18 scud hooks are as small as they are and I've had a heck of a time getting five different materials tied on that small hook. To get a dozen I'm going to have to tie twenty because some simply will not pass.



Last weekend I realized there were a number of things I needed for this trout season so Miss Carol and I hopped in the prairie schooner and drove to the closest fly shop which is Bass Pro in Oklahoma City.

Now a lot of people in the fly-fishing world may not like White River Fly Shops but for this simpleton they have the basics of what I need.

I'll have to say the customer service was great at the fly shop this time around. A young man approached me and asked what I needed. I simply said "GPX WF5 floating." This guy immediately turned around and grabbed exactly what I asked for.


I grabbed a few other things including some tying hooks, split shot, and tying thread. That was about all I gathered up but still didn't get out of Bass Pro less than two-hundred dollars. You see Miss Carol has her own likings.


Bass Pro was extremely crowded this particular weekend and if a fellar didn't know better he would of thought it was Christmas time. I don't know what the deal was but people were shopping everywhere which is good news for Bass Pro I guess.


Miss Carol and I watched them feed the fish in the aquarium and then we made our exit.

Soon as I got home I realized I forgot to get the dadgum bead heads I had on my list. Oh well...that means we'll have to plan another trip to Bass Pro. Dog-gone the luck.

No comments: