Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Carp Crusades - Friday's Fish

I knew there was something I was forgetting this morning heading out the door to work. My plan for the day was to work until about 2:30 p.m. then hit the creek for just a short while... long enough to look for carp number thirty in the Carp Crusades.

After work gearing up at the creek I realized what I'd forgotten... the camera. But that was okay because I've taken plenty of pictures so far and wasn't planning on spending much time on the creek today at all.

The only reason I'm posting this is for a record of memory since mine seems to fail me quite often these days. I require some kind of record to the events to call back on in future months and years.

Standing in the creek I saw a foursome of slow cruisers coming upstream. If they'd been road rage cruisers I wouldn't have even wasted time on them because it is time wasted. When they got within twenty feet or so I started casting trying to judge their distance and speed. My casts were falling short so I waited until they were closer. When they were about eight feet out a cast landed right in front of the two lead carp but it was too close to them and too far from the carp nearest the far bank. However, the San Juan worm ball did attract the attention of the tailing carp in the formation and he actually made a dead run for the fly and a sudden suck. Hook-set!

I've only had a couple of carp actually make a run for the fly and this fellow was one of them. He wasn't all that big of a carp... maybe five pounds, but he was one of the toughest gladiators I've yet to do battle with. Finally landed him and we said our greetings and so-longs.

Carp number thirty came to reality today. I push on for the ultimate goal of carp number fifty in the Carp Crusades.

No comments: