Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Carp Redux 2011 - Curvy Crazy Charlie Strikes Again

This weather is friggin' crazy.  Monday it was 94 degrees here on the prairie ocean, and this morning it was forty-five.  Today there wasn't a hint of sun, but I did get on the creek a couple of hours earlier than yesterday.

With the same Curvy Crazy Charlie in white and silver I hooked up with the first carp of the day, but the hook point didn't hold.  Going upstream I come to the pasture we call the Courtyard.  The bank at the Courtyard is a good ten or twelve feet above the water.  Here in the creek was one lone carp feeding.  In order to get my offering to him I had to make a side arm forward cast and luckily the fly landed about a foot in front of him.  He slowly came to the fly and the hook-set held this time.


My regular six weight carp rod is out of action so I've been using a five weight.  You wouldn't think there would be much difference in the two, but it's been a chore getting some of these beasts to hand.

Charlie and I will begin exploring another possible carp fishery soon and we have high hopes for this new adventure. 

No comments: