Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Conversations With Carp - New Communication Tools

Flies are a tool we use in the pursuit of communicating with carp.

Due to the generosity and kindness of Gregg Martin of Idaho, Charlie and I have received new tools in our pursuit of holding talks with the grand and golden carp. 

In today's mail there was a package from Gregg containing ten of his hand-crafted egg patterns along with a personal hand-written note.  Honestly, I don't know what is more special to me - the flies or Gregg's note.  There is a tendency with this angler to hold on to flies that have been gifted this way, put them in frames, along with the name of the giver.  However, I think I'll fish a couple of these patterns and keep the others. 


As soon as the flies were received I contacted Charlie, telling him of Gregg's gift.  Charlie will be by the mercantile store in the morning to get his share of these creations. 

Rarely have I used an egg pattern for any type of fish so this is going to be something new and most certainly a learning process for me.  Most likely this will also hold true for Charlie.  Gregg, though, is good to offer tips and advice from his outings using this pattern.

Hopefully, we will soon get a chance to try Gregg's Eggs and see what happens, but... the forecast shows more rain possibly tonight through tomorrow.  In the last six weeks, the rain has kept us off the creek and away from the carp for half of this time. 

Rain is good though, and there will be bright, sunny, and clear days ahead when we can show the carp what an egg from Idaho looks like. 

Thanks Gregg... you're a good guy and fine brother of the angle. 

1 comment:

Gregg said...

Barry, and Charlie,

Keep me posted. If they do poorly I need to know that as well. I hope they open new communication with those wily carp transmitters!

And you are welcome. Gregg