Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Friday, November 26, 2010

A Deer Of A Lifetime

Last Saturday was opening day of gun season for the whitetail deer in Oklahoma.  My buddy Curt was at his hunting station, perched up in his stand, waiting for that "special" buck to come along.  As opening day ended, Curt had passed on all the deer that came his way.  I guess that's how it is with deer hunting.

I never learned to hunt and it's been one of my biggest regrets in life.  My family were anglers and that was our concentration - we fished a lot.  We didn't hunt, so I never learned how to hunt.

Curt made me privy to his hunting station, and even though I know little about hunting, I could tell it was a well thought out creation.  There was clearing where clearing was needed, a good fringe of woodland where woodland was needed, good entrance points and Curt's stand reminded me of a cat birds seat. 

It's now been a week since opening day and Curt is still passing on the deer because he knows there's a big one on his plot.  Sure hope Curt remembers those big ones got that way because they're darn smart.

Opening day was a different story for Curt's dad Mark, and it was also a different story for Curt's daughter Kristen. 


Mark Tully with his prize buck.



Mark Tully took what might be considered a deer of a hunter's lifetime on opening day.  This buck had 23 points, not counting the two broken off, and the base of the antlers measured 6 1/4 inches.  Mark takes his trophy this week for scoring under the Cy Curtis award program in Oklahoma. 

Kristen Tully - youth in hunting carrying on with the heritage.


On the same day, while Curt was passing on deer, his young daughter Kristen also took a buck.  Seems like there was success on both ends of Curt's life... while he was passing on deer. 

Did I mention Curt passed on deer?

But you know... I think there's going to be a rest of the story ending before Curt gets through hunting.  I can hardly wait to see the pictures.

Whitetail deer hunting in Oklahoma is nothing short of a remarkable success story.  In 1917 there was less than 500 whitetail deer in Oklahoma.  In 1943 the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife begin their deer restoration program by trapping and transplanting just 22 deer. Today... the estimated deer population of Oklahoma is over 450,000.

The success of Oklahoma's thriving whitetail deer is attributable to land use practices and increased habitat conservation.  These two efforts created a perfect environment for the whitetail to survive and propagate. 

I wish I did know how to hunt because it just seems enjoyable and fulfilling.  But, I'm growing old in the muzzle and figure they don't need an "old" rookie in the woods.  On the other hand, it's also been said, "It's never too late to learn."


No comments: