Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thinking Tandem

More and more I find myself using tandem rigs on Blue River.  Most of the time I use a bugger or other streamer pattern as the lead fly with a variety of trailing or tag-along friends.  But, a beadhead Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail, or good sized soft hackle can also be used as the lead fly.  Here are some of the tag teams I've used that have worked quite well in the past.

Olive bugger with soft hackle - partridge and orange is my favorite.
Olive bugger with Hare's Ear Nymph
The Zug Bug is not used a lot on Blue River but I've found it to be a good pattern trailed behind the bugger.
The Mademoiselle is not a well known pattern, but again I've had a lot of fun with it.
Sow Bugs behind a bugger also work surprisingly well.
For the longest time I had little success with the San Juan Worm, but lately it is producing better and better.

A Mayfly Emerger pattern given to me by Michael Mercurio - good pattern.
Maybe the most overlooked producer on Blue - the Crackleback.
In murky water on sunlit days use Ralph James' Silverback trailed behind a Black Damsel Marabou.
In murky water on overcast days trail a Copper John behind a Black Damsel Marabou.
In murky just plain brown water use brown patterns such as this leech.  The Zebra always makes a good trailer.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Byron said...

Great post Barry! The Olive bugger w/ a san juan worm is usually what I end up with when it's all said and done.