Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wonderful World Of Buggers

Without a doubt the wooly bugger is a fly we don't want to be without when we're on the river Blue or for most of the waters we fish. Can we build a better bugger? I don't know that we can but we can certainly make tremendous adaptations to the basic bugger.

For a long time I tied all my buggers using chenille as body material but I've gotten away from that standard over the last five years or so. These days I mainly use dubbing for the body of the bugger. Sure...I still use chenille...standard colored chenille, variegated chenille, and even sparkle chenille and they all work wonderfully. But I like the dubbed body look and the slimmer body that it makes.

Now we can use all kind of colors on our buggers. We can tie a solid olive or black bugger or we can tie a bugger with an olive tail, black body and olive hackle. We can finish buggers using the same colored thread as the main thrust of the bugger or we can give it a red throat or black throat. We can use a variety of material for the tailing of the buggers. Buggers present all kinds of possibilities.

I have a friend who likes to turkey hunt and he really seems to enjoy it. I have more turkey feathers than you can imagine and I really don't tie that many flies that call for turkey. Recently I started tying buggers with turkey material particularly with the soft fibers or what is commonly called aftershaft. I like them so far and I think they will fish well.





I don't know if one bugger works better than another but the one I've always been able to count on is one I call the olive split tail yellow. This bugger has just a hint of yellow in the tail on the bottom. I truly believe this is the fly that has kept me from the thralls of the skunk fairy for over seven years now.




Buggers come in all sizes, colors, variations, and one's creativity is what make them so fun to tie.



This is a bugger using the turkey aftershaft I was talking about. I call this one a red-throated tuft tail olive.




Simply changing colors we can have a red-throated tuft tail black.



Grizzly always seems to be a good choice for a bugger and this particular tail is a fan tail with gray body.




This is a red-throated red split tail olive. Another great taker of trout.



Here is a dubbed marabou body red-throated black marabou bugger.

Now buggers may not be our fly of choice but for sure they work. A bugger is not my favorite fly...I prefer a Hare's Ears, Midge, or Adams any day. But one point we can't argue is that buggers work and they work well most of the time. Buggers fall in that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category.









1 comment:

Harley said...

Nice looking bugs Barry!