Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FlyFish Texas 2010

There's a fly fishing event going on in Texas in mid March called FlyFish Texas 2010. The exact date of this event is March 13th which is a week I have vacation planned, so I'm thinking about taking a trip south across the Red River.

The folks at FlyFish Texas 2010 are offering a celebration of the art of fly-fishing with basic fly tying and casting being offered. Also, there will be a day of seminars, demonstrations, and presentations along with vendor venues available.

Festivities start at 9:00 a.m. and end at 4 p.m. so it's not a long enduring day with party animal plans afterwards (unless that's your forte). The event is held at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens, Texas and there will also be some fishing opportunities available.

Robin Rhyne has invited me to come and I really want to. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact I don't do well in traveling along busy highways. Put me on a busy highway for any distance at all and my anxiety level rises to a point I start looking like one of those cartoon characters with the quitin' time siren sounds and smoke coming out of my ears and my eyes looking like kaleidoscopes. Now... you can put me on any backroad in the world with a six-pack of beer and I'm just fine... just fine. But, when it comes to the busy roads of the metroplexity... I don't fare well at all.

I've plotted a trip through Bonham, Texas then through small throughfares such as Leonard until I hit Greenville. Once at Greenville I should be able to find Athens... hopefully.

As an Okie, I feel like I should support my fly-fishing brothers and sisters in Texas for they certainly support Blue River. On any given weekend, most of the visitors to Blue are from Texas and these guys and gals are spending their dollars enjoying the pleasures of Oklahoma waters... such as Blue.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Check out FlyFish Texas 2010.

No comments: