Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Conversations With Carp - Talks After Supper

Since last Saturday there has been little time to get to the creek in hopes of holding conversation with the carp.  Miss Carol flew to Virginia on Monday to see one of the boys and visit with two beautiful granddaughters.  Her departure put me in charge of extra bunkhouse duties and therefore little time on the water has been the result.

Yesterday, however, there was about an hour of daylight left after finishing supper so I decided to slip down to the creek.  The wind yesterday, and for the last several days, has been stiff to say the least.  There has been a constant riffle on the surface, and although this can make seeing the carp difficult it also can serve as a blessing because they have more difficulty in seeing us. 

Armed with the chartreuse Biter Critter a lone favorable carp is spotted and the fly goes sailing toward the creature.  He eats it without hesitation. 


This one carp would be the extent of my carp catching because I was losing light by the minute.  This fish seemed to be enough to satisfy though because he was one heck of a scraper. 

The carp of this creek should be on notice.  With the help of a fabulous Father's Day gift my carp-by-fly life has been enhanced I believe.

Over the last several years, each time I go to a fly shop I always look at the fly tier's magnifying glass offerings.  But, there is always something else that draws my attention more.  Even though I have been in dire need of visual aid in my tying life, that new pair of waders or boots, rod or reel has always won out.  While the rods, reels, waders, boots, and other fly fishing gear has come off the shelf, the magnifying glass has stayed on.

Those days are over now, because for Father's Day I received a Carson MagniFly.  Now, I can churn out carp flies like Hershey's turns out chocolate bars.



Watch our carp, new flies coming your way soon. 

3 comments:

Herman said...

I cannot tell you how much I enjoy your fishing blog. Thank you for your stories, your writing style, your love of OK and the beauty she gives us...and your insight to a world of fishing that I am learning so much about. You should join Twitter. Lots of fishing junkies 'round there.

Barry said...

Thank you Herman. I enjoy every minute of my outdoor Oklahoma life.

Gregg said...

Nice carp story Barry,

I have used magnification for years. Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer, I believe, warn that once your eyes become adjusted to tying with it it's hard to tie otherwise and I have found that true. Wouldn't give it up for a second though! Hope it helps you, I can't even tie a size 4 Woolly Bugger with out some help.

Gregg