Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Crushing Cans For Catch & Release




When Miss Carol and I arrived home today from Blue we decided to stomp a few cans. Actually we are way behind in our can stomping duties having about eight large bags of cans stashed behind our garage.

Can stomping isn't terribly fun but if you take a boom box or roll down the window on your vehicle and turn the radio up you can have a little music to motivate you. Heck, I'm thinking about calling all the kids and see if they want to have a can-stomping party. We can stomp cans, roast some weinies and marshmallows and have our own backyard shindig. It's a means to an end.

I've said before it takes a lot of dadgum cans to equal any real money. However, if I stay on top of my Recycling For Rainbows program I can get about four to five hundred dollars a year for the Wildlife Department. I think the way one has to look at it is if I didn't collect and crunch these cans then that money would be out the window...because I can guarantee you those cans would end up in a landfill.

Right now, the price of aluminum is down so we are sitting on all our cans waiting for the market to rise.

I have a friend at work and this young lad is really mechanically inclined so I'm going to hit him up to build me a can crushing machine.

All this stomping is giving me the shin splits.

If you don't currently recycle...then think about it. It's a good thing to do for Mother Earth.

No comments: