Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Earth Poem

They found Puff the Magic Dragon on the shore at Hon alee
covered with the oil from the Exxon Valdez
As “Little Jackie Paper” rained tears from up above
God sent down sympathy on the wings of the dove

They found poor old Smokey Bear, in a forest that turned pale green
all the tree-tops were naked from too much acid rain
Oh, how the Rangers did cry for the poor old bear
God sent down sadness in the song of the sparrow

They found the Lone Ranger in a river face down
toxic waste in the water had helped the Ranger drown
and oh how Tonto cried for his kemosabe friend
God sent down the great eagle to help his torn heart mend

Superman fell from the sky, his face was burned bright red
that hole up in the ozone had killed Clark Kent quite dead
and oh, how Lois cried for her man of steel
God sent down a loving touch to help her broke heart heal

“No Virginia, I’m sorry”, but there’s not a Santa Claus
he went down over L.A. while flying through the smog
Oh, how the children will cry when they hear about St. Nick
God just bows his head, the spirit so heartsick

That old Sinclair dinosaur reminds me of “Puff”
road-kill all along the road, damn!, I think I’ve seen enough
Oh, how I fret... for dolphins caught in tuna’s net
God sends me to my knees, makes my eyes grow wet
Barry Shrader

No comments: