Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lights, Camera, Carp

Videographers for Outdoor Oklahoma, Blake and Darrin, arrived in Sulphur shortly after 7 a.m. today and we were soon on Rock Creek fly fishing for carp. At the end of the day, I would come away with a greater appreciation for what these guys do. Although it was tremendous fun, at times it was almost like work. There are certain things that have to be done from several angles or directions to make film work, so Charlie and I went through the routine.

We knew that rain was headed for the Prairie Ocean, but we didn't expect it until Wednesday. We knew for sure we'd have sunshine today which is vital in sight fishing for carp. We didn't have sunshine... not a drop. We fished all morning under an overcast sky which made fishing tough.

We started out at the big hole at the place we call the Courtyard, but neither Charlie or myself had any luck. The carp would come have a look at our flies then simply turn away.

We then started the rather long journey upstream while Darrin was carrying that forty pound camera with him. This guy had to work today. Upstream, I finally found a carp with the Carpola Charlie and the guys got that on film. Then Charlie hooked into something and I knew for sure it was a carp, but it turned out to be a dandy little catfish who fancied Charlie's San Juan Worm. I had another opportunity for a carp and saw the carp come to my fly, his mouth open to suck it up, and as I set the hook...somehow...someway... a perch picked that fly like a linebacker intercepting a football. My hookset... the one I knew was on that carp, caught the perch. What a thief!

On the way back downstream we fished the big hole again with the same results - refusals. We then decided to fish a new stretch of water, but found few carp. I went further downstream and hooked up with another carp and I thought the video guys were far behind me. But, when I looked around Blake was there filming.

The most exciting part of the day came at the end. Darrin and Blake were getting ready to wrap things up and Charlie started blind fishing with the San Juan. All of a sudden I heard the water explode and Charlie had a nice carp on that worm. Blind fishing!!!

That experience right there was a day-maker.

Darrin and Blake said they work a year out but promised us an earlier DVD. They also commented it was some of the best footage they've ever shot. Can't wait to see it.

Here are a few pictures I managed today.



1 comment:

Range Diva said...

Really cool story! Look forward to sharing the view date!