Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Saturday, January 26, 2013

In Getting Spanked

I went fly fishing with Van today.  I got my butt spanked my Van today.  Actually, I got my butt kicked my van today. 

We had a 75 fish day.  Van caught 50 of the trout today.  So, do the math and you'll know how badly Van kicked my arse. 

Now, you might ask why anyone would beat up on an old man like Van did today?  I don't know.  It's a damn shame though and should be against the law. 

The truth is that Van had the goods today and he brought em.  The amazing thing about this guy is that he's been fly fishing hardly anytime at all, but he has taken to it like a duck to water. 

Of course some credit should be give to the guy who introduced him to fly fishing and perhaps this is some small part of his success.  And that guy is me!  See how he repays me for my kindness. 

The usual hot spot today wasn't so hot.  Van did pick up some and I only picked up a few.  So Van went downstream and this is where he found his hot spot for the day. 

For Van the morning action came courtesy of the brown bugger.  Later around noon, his action got hot again using the Hare's Ear. 

 
I wouldn't find my sweet spot until close to noon.  I decided to fish the oxygenated water below a falls and the trout here were loving the Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tail.  When they grew pattern weary of these two flies, I simply tied on a size 16 dark olive baby bugger and the action was back on.
 
All in all it was a fine outing.  I hate to admit it, but I tired out early.  Seems like I do that a lot anymore. 
 
Think I'll get on a Geritol regimen and get back in the game. 

No comments: