Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dear Carp - Reminiscing

Dear Carp,

On my most recent visit with your kind I found myself reminiscing about a time that Charlie and I came to your home together.  It was three years ago to the day when not only Charlie and I came, but two young chaps with the television show Outdoor Oklahoma also came.

Outdoor Oklahoma wanted to do an outdoor show about fly fishing for carp and of course we were excited about helping.  Yes, we captured several of your lot and all of it was captured on film.  It was a day of Lights, Camera, Carp.



Since that filming the show has aired numerous times and most seemed quite pleased with the production.  One exception was the local game ranger.  He reported that upon the initial airing of this film his phone began to ring and didn't stop.  The outdoor public was highly interested in fly fishing for carp and on one hand that is a good thing.  On the other hand though, it caused Charlie and me some concern.  Of course we will always be willing to introduce new people to this sport, but we also know how some species have become pressured to the point it almost becomes exploitation and we do not want that to happen to you.

Now on my most recent trip to visit your lot I brought the gift that has seemed to be your favorite - the Aftermath.  The first three citizens I would connect with all broke off our talks rather abruptly, which seemed highly unusual and gave me cause to inspect the line I use to connect with you.  That inspection revealed a severe roughness in the line and that roughness was dispensed of.  A new Aftermath went on and the next citizen would come in for the branding.

He was a pretty lad. 

 
Still, I am not getting to spend near the time I wish with your community, but things may change someday.  Until then, I wish you well.
 
 
Sincerely,
 
 
Prairie Ocean Fly Fisher




No comments: