Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Thursday, November 25, 2010

In Breaking With Tradition

Historic Fly Fishing Items From The American M...Image via Wikipedia
For the last ten trout seasons, Thanksgiving afternoon has been spent on the river Blue.  This year I'll have to break this tradition because I simply can't get there. 

Our vehicular problems continue to exist, and I'm beginning to believe finding a good mechanic is like searching for an honest politician - they could be rare. 

My plan B today was to pursue carp by fly on the Rock Creek current of the Prairie Ocean, but Mother Nature has decided else wise.  There has been a steady cold rain - cold enough to form icicles on the outstretched arms of these disrobing trees of autumn.

So, this Thanksgiving I will break from my tradition, stay at the prairie home, and perhaps tie some flies.  Even though fishing is tugging at me something fierce today and I can't go, I am still quite thankful for the many blessings I have in life.

From a fly fishing point I am the most thankful for the river Blue and the good amount of water that still flows her course.  The water merchants have yet been able to touch her.  I am thankful for the wonderful carp of Rock Creek that Charlie and I have discovered and enjoy immensely.  I am most thankful for the many friendships that fly fishing has brought me on the water and through common interest.  I am most thankful for the friendship Charlie and I have struck this past spring, summer, and fall - a friendship that will last as long as we do.  And lastly I am thankful for a good enough health that still allows me to hike good distances, and navigate the water in pursuit of fish, in hopes of understanding the relationship between man and creature. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone... and good fishing.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: