Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Conversations With Carp - Talks Over Coffee

My one full day away from the mercantile store is quickly becoming rather enjoyable.  I like the cool, crisp, and fresh air of morning time.  Today I took a cup of coffee with me to the creek and on a sandy shoal I sipped every drop as the morning slowly announced itself.

The fishing this morning was most excellent.  The last seven carp that have come to hand has been on the same pattern.  I'm beginning to think the stinger on this pattern looks like a worm to the carp.  I've only tried two colors of stingers - tan and red, and they both have produced.  This morning it was the red stinger that took the carp.

By eight o'clock, three carp had come to hand.  By nine o'clock one more had come my way with three carp being missed from early hook-sets.  Other species included bass, catfish, and bream. 

Here are some pictures from this morning.















Everyone have a good and safe Memorial Day weekend.  Remember our fallen heroes.

Semper Fi


Barry








3 comments:

Robin said...

One beautiful creek, many beautiful images.

Gregg said...

Nice Barry! That looks similar to Hudson's Mud Bugger with a clam tail. Similar, not a clone. Thanks for the shout out to all who have served.

Gregg

Barry said...

It may be similar to the Mud Bug. I remember the pattern you sent me but never attempted it. This fly stands on it's head so I guess it's like one of those headstand flies that some guy come up with. It's a simple tie, vernille for the stinger, peacock herl for the body, and two olive grizzly hackles wound forward. It seems to be a killer fly for the carp. Haven't tried other colors such as brown or black.