Blue River Fly Classic

Blue River Fly Classic
A One Pattern Fly Event

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chapter 58 Day 20 - Trout Season


Dependability

It wasn't too long ago I asked Carol why in the world she married me?  Was it because she found me charming, charitable with my meager funds, or just simply drop-dead good-looking? 

Carol... doesn't mince her words and quickly informed me she married me for none of the reasons I mentioned, but, rather for the fact I was dependable and she knew she could always count on me. 

In our fly fishing lives there are certain fly patterns that we usually know we can always count on to produce.  That's dependability. 

Yesterday morning on the river Blue at 9:30 a.m. it was 65 degrees.  This morning on the river at 9:30 a.m. it was 45 degrees with a noticeable breeze and a little mist.  Since the Prince Nymph did so well yesterday I tied him on again went to the exact same spot as yesterday.  Today however, it was a totally different story.  I don't know if the trout got wise to ol' Princey boy or what, but, he couldn't have bribed a fish today. 

After giving him ten or so runs the decision to go to plan B was put into effect.  Some of the patterns that I've always been able to count on are the Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail, and the venerable Bugger.  The Bugger went on and the fish started coming my way. 

There are still a lot of campers at Blue River, but, the crowds on the water were much thinner today.  I didn't have long to stay because of things to be done at the prairie home. 

On the way in to the river this morning I saw two deer hunters dragging a deer from the woods.  Guess their day was made.  It is hunting season at Blue and there were probably a half dozen hunters in the woods on the road going in. 

On the way back to the prairie home I got to shoot some deer of my own.  Shot em' with a Fuji Finepix.



2 comments:

Jon Williams said...

The only pattern that worked for me Sunday were Olive Buggers as well. Bead Head landed a few Bows & I also pulled in a Cat Fish on a Red Thread Head Olive Bugger. I was a little surprised when I landed him. Best wishes & keep writing. I enjoy your posts.
Jon Williams

Barry said...

Jon,

I'd say that catfish was an added bonus to a good day on the river. Hope you'll get to come a lot more. See you on the water.

Barry